2020. *dramatic sigh* Heh… what a year. It tested patience, proved all the outlandish sci-fi technology dependent societies are 100% more realistic than we thought, and basically wrecked havoc. I’m just glad its over.
As far as months go, December was pretty solid. I read 33 books this month. I did manage to reach my goal of 288 books (it was close, but we made it!). I would like to take this moment to thank short stories, graphic novels, and novellas for their contributions to my goal. Also shout out to my introverted (read: somewhat antisocial) tendencies. You all have helped me achieve my 2020 reading goal and I am forever thankful.
3🌟 A Curse So Dark And Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
Groundhog Day meets Beauty and the Beast
3🌟 A Heart So Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer
The ending— NOOOO
3🌟 Legend by Marie Lu
it seemed very average
5🌟Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
Did I reread this book for the third time even though I’m in the middle of 6 other books?? Haha no. Not me. *whispers* yes….
1🌟 New Year’s Kiss by Lee Matthews
The second hand embarrassment for the characters is strong with this one
4 🌟 Fable by Adrienne Young
Pirates… but dark
4🌟 Fence Volume 1 by C.S Pacat, Johanna the Mad (Illustrator), Joana LaFuente (Colorist), Jim Campbell (Letterer)
Thanks for the rec Phoenix @ Books With Wings
4🌟 Fence Volume 2 by C.S Pacat, Johanna the Mad (Illustrator), Joana LaFuente (Colorist), Jim Campbell (Letterer)
No. No, you did not just end like that. Come back and tell me what happens *internal anguish*
4🌟 Fence Volume 3 by C.S Pacat, Johanna the Mad (Illustrator), Joana LaFuente (Colorist), Jim Campbell (Letterer)
4🌟 Prodigy by Marie Lu
Ow that was my heart
4🌟 Champion by Marie Lu
3 🌟 Rebel by Marie Lu
2🌟 Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett
I would pay money to smack both of the main characters
3🌟 Together, Apart by Erin A. Craig, Auriane Desombre, Erin Hahn, Bill Konigsberg, Rachael Lippincott, Brittney Morris, Sajni Patel, Natasha Preston, Jennifer Yen
short stories were hit or miss
3🌟You’d Be Mine by Erin Hahn
drama with a hint of country music
3 🌟 Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas
Sarah did not just kill off a supporting character for main character’s development. No. no she did not.
3 🌟The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Yea this is still my least favorite book in the series
1 🌟 Kissing Lessons by Sophie Jordan
Entered: wanting something cute and fluffy
3🌟Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
I can’t tell if the writing is chaotic genius or a hot mess??
3🌟 Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi
3🌟 Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
So much drama… but I’m kind of invested in it?
2🌟Fracture Me by Tahereh Mafi
What was the point of that
3🌟Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
As the kind sir Ian said, “It’s like a soap opera… but with worse acting”
3🌟 Restore Me by Tahereh Mafi
Who let this girl be in charge??
2🌟Shadow Me by Tahereh Mafi
Why are there so many of these books… I swear they keep multiplying
2🌟Defy Me by Tahereh Mafi
It keeps getting more and more far fetched… what it happening??
2🌟 Reveal Me by Tahereh Mafi
8 billion books later and my only thought is should have been a trilogy
2🌟 Imagine Me by Tahereh Mafi
Hit Me. Someone, please, make it stop.
3 ⭐️ Snow in Love by Melissa de la Cruz, Nic Stone, Aimee Friedman, Kasie West
fun for the holidays
4 🌟 The Henna Wars by Adiba Jaigirdar
so many feelings. perfect book to end the year with!
- A book review that I wrote got published in the school newspaper. It was a very different format and style than what I’m used to doing here, but I’m really excited by the result.
- I finally figured out how to do the spoiler alert ma bobs. Shout out to Google for that.
Also not to be a statistics maniac or anything, but I hit some milestones that I’m super proud of. Thank y’all for reading my posts and chatting about books with me!
- 1.2k on Instagram. Um what?
- 100+ followers on the blog *AHHHHHH*
Marta @ Monogamist Reader wrote a fantastic review of Namestake by Adrienne Young. I can’t wait to read this one when it comes out and this review only got me more excited!
Cossette @ Tea Time Lit wrote an important discussion about trigger warnings. She brought up a lot of really excellent points. I have been working on going back and including trigger warnings on all of my old reviews as well as my new ones.
Amodini @ Amodini’s Musings wrote an amazing review of Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo. The voice and authenticity in this review is stunning.
Cat @ This Is One For The Books compared book covers to world famous paintings. I loved the creativity and I can not unsee it now!
Emily @ A Short Book Lover and Sasha @ Sasha and Amber Read recommend sapphic books based on evermore songs. Thank you to both of you for making my ever ending tbr even longer. I’m super excited to check some of these out!
24hr. YA Book Blog discussed YA Book Comparisons by Authors Of Color and Unfair Critiques of BIPOC Work. A must read.
Ashmita @ The Fictional Journal shared her thoughts on They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera. You could feel her love for the book radiating off the screen and I’m more excited than ever to finally read it.
- The semester is officially over. I’m glad to have a bit of a break.
- Evermore!!! *AHHHH* I am obsessed. I will be doing the Evermore book tag in the upcoming weeks!
- I read my first graphic novel in YEARS. I was surprised by how much I liked it and will be reading more in the future. Related: anyone have any favorite graphic novels they would like to recommend??
- I had a lovely Christmas with my family. We exchanged gifts, ate cinnamon rolls, and watched the Star Wars movies in chronological order (the last step lasted multiple days, but we started them at least).
- Thank you to my lovely friend Kate for gifting me Gilded Wolves and Spin the Dawn for Secret Santa. I’ve wanted to read them both forever so I’m so glad I can finally sink my claws into my very own copies.
- I also was lucky enough to receive the Truly Devious trilogy as well as A Question For Holmes. Always excited to get some books!
- I created a brand new playlist called “write like the wind bullseye” because my voice could not physically handle shouting Hamilton lyrics 24/7. I’m feeling very accomplished because I have never created my own playlist before and its like a rite of passage to teendom.
- I got spoiled for Heartless on Twitter and I am not ok.
So, that’s my December for ya. My fingers are crossed for a better year in 2021!
How was your month? Your year? Read any good books? What are your favorite songs from Evermore? Do you have any graphic novels that you recommend?