I don’t want to jinx myself, but I think my reading slump is over! *celebratory dance*
I finished A Pho Love Story earlier this week and then binge read this bad boy in a night. I am once again devouring stories and loving every moment of it. Taking a short break from fantasy and diving headfirst into some lighter contemporary reads was the move. And what better contemporary to dive into than one by the author of one of my favorite 2020 releases?? Enter You Have A Match by Emma Lord.
Side note: you can find my review of Lord’s debut, Tweet Cute, here!!
Book: You Have a Match
Author: Emma Lord
Published January 12th 2021 by Wednesday Books
Grief, anxiety, mild injury, death of a family member, adoption/transracial adoption, parental conflict
When Abby signs up for a DNA service, it’s mainly to give her friend and secret love interest, Leo, a nudge. After all, she knows who she is already: Avid photographer. Injury-prone tree climber. Best friend to Leo and Connie…although ever since the B.E.I. (Big Embarrassing Incident) with Leo, things have been awkward on that front.
But she didn’t know she’s a younger sister.
When the DNA service reveals Abby has a secret sister, shimmery-haired Instagram star Savannah Tully, it’s hard to believe they’re from the same planet, never mind the same parents — especially considering Savannah, queen of green smoothies, is only a year and a half older than Abby herself.
The logical course of action? Meet up at summer camp (obviously) and figure out why Abby’s parents gave Savvy up for adoption. But there are complications: Savvy is a rigid rule-follower and total narc. Leo is the camp’s co-chef, putting Abby’s growing feelings for him on blast. And her parents have a secret that threatens to unravel everything.
But part of life is showing up, leaning in, and learning to fit all your awkward pieces together. Because sometimes, the hardest things can also be the best ones. (from Goodreads)
- Friends-to-lovers as it should be. The jealousy, the angst, the tension was all 10/10. You could really see the depth of Leo and Abby’s friendship, even without reading about the whole thing. The inside Day jokes and the way they just knew each other was so brilliantly done.
- Do you want to cackle like a hyena on helium??? Read this book. I really love the voice and humor in You Have A Match. It flows so well, it balances pop culture nicely, and I just straight up enjoyed it. Abby was such a fun pov to follow and I couldn’t help laughing at some of the internal monologues she had while the chaos unfolded around her.
- I thought the Parent Trap had drama. Welp, You Have A Match came to play. The amount of drama in this book is insane, but in the best way possible. Everything that could possibly go wrong does and it is chaotic and highly entertaining. I also love how the characters acknowledge how dramatic and soap opera-esque the whole thing is. I came into this book with the expectation for a fun (but somewhat wacky) plot and it 100% delivered.
- Friends calling each other out. I vote yes. Strong friendship is my favorite thing to see in books (right behind pirates, obviously). But when friends let each other get away with all sorts of ridiculous-ness without calling each other out?? No thanks. We love friends who are not afraid to give the main character a reality check.
- Circular conversations = merry-go-round of death. I’m all for dodging each other and skirting around the topic, especially when it comes to the friends-to-lovers trope, but Leo and Abby had the same conversation multiple times. I’m all for the unrequited feelings and will-they-won’t-they dance, but if y’all have the same conversation and deny your feelings one more time I will hit you with a canoe paddle.
- I could’ve done with less Harry Potter references. There were a lot of them, and not once was JKR ever called out. No thank you.
You Have a Match is an absolutely delightful read. Filled with a chaotic plot, complex and relatable characters, and a whole lot of drama Emma Lord really delivered in her sophomore novel!
Have you read You Have A Match?? What did you think?